Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Putting the "Meat" Back in Leadership

By Tim Ernst, Student Body Vice President, University of North Carolina-Charlotte

I've attended many, many lectures, seminars, and meetings on leadership. I often find that many of these exercises don't contain a lot of "meat".

For example, we'll sit there and discuss what leadership means to us. When we do this I don't feel that it is improving my leadership abilities.

One of the things that I believe has improved my leadership skills the most is listening to the Manager Tools podcast ( http://www.manager-tools.com/). I know what you're thinking. You're probably already skeptical, but you're going to have to trust me on this one.

Essentially, it is two people with tons of experience that let us in on the best way to conduct yourself as a leader. They talk about everything from how to answer questions in a meeting to how to receive feedback. One thing that makes the Manager Tools podcast different is that it contains lots of 'meat.' They tell you exactly what should be done and why.

If you do nothing else, just listen to one of their broadcasts!

Thanks to Tim from UNC-Charlotte for this great insight!
Got anything you'd like to post? Send it our way! We'd love to help you share your ideas and concerns! Let Tim know what you think--leave a comment.

No comments:

Google